Our National City CA real estate spotlight on a central Southern California location.
National City CA Real Estate History
Originally called “Rancho del Rey” (Ranch of the King) during the Spanish rule. In 1795, it served as grazing land for cattle.
In 1828, its name changed to “Rancho de la Nación” (Ranch of the Nation).
After the end of the Mexican-American War, the U.S. government granted John Forster a patented land grant in 1866.
In 1868, the Kimball brothers bought the land and built roads and a wharf which attracted a railroad link to the fledgling city. Advertised as “The most healthful climate on earth” attracted settlors. This led to beautiful Victorian homes on tree-lined streets.
In 1887, National City became incorporated adopting the Ranch of the Nation name into its own.
National City CA Facts
The land area covers 7.3 square miles.
Located on the border of San Diego to the east and north, San Diego Bay on its west, Chula Vista to its south, and unincorporated areas of Bonita and Lincoln Acres to the south and southeast.
Nearby freeways where I-805 and I-5 cross the city from north to south with State Route 54 on its southern edge.
National City CA Real Estate Market 2019
- Good sidewalks = 88%;
- Walkable to grocery stores = 76%;
- Well-kept yards = 68%
- Dog-friendly = 66%;
- Quiet = 66%; and
- Holiday spirit = 65%.
- The?Median Home Value = $440,800;
- Median Sale Price = $436,400;
- Median List Price per Square Foot = $335; and
- National City Home Prices = Up 5.6% over the past year.
- Average Sale Price = $479,000; and
- Median Sale Price per Square Foot = $346.
Redfin Overview – National City “somewhat walkable” where some errands accomplished walking and public transit available. Minimum infrastructure for biking.
- Median Home Value = $472,330; and
- Single-family homes most popular with homeowners in National City.
- Median Listing Home Price = $459,000;
- Median Listing Home Price per Square Foot = $341; and
- The Median Sold Home Price = $459,000.
Thus, listed homes sell at their listed price. This creates a seller’s market.
Confused by the Different Home Prices?
Four real estate market prices in 2019 differ. The lowest average sale price of $436,400 to the higher sales price average of $479,000.
Got Questions About National City Home Prices?
National City Attractions
The National City government website lists many attractions.
The National City Marine Terminal the most advanced vehicle export and import facilities on the West Coast. Over 270,000 vehicles pass through this terminal annually.
National City Shopping
National City boasts a large shopping area. Six major shopping centers include:
- South Bay Plaza, the first shopping center in San Diego;
- Bay Plaza Shopping Center;
- National City Plaza Shopping Center;
- Grove Plaza Shopping Center;
- Sweetwater Town & Country; and
- Westfield Plaza Bonita with a recent $130 million expansion.
Looking to buy a car? Go to the “Mile of Cars” with over 20 different car dealerships selling more than 5,000 cars.
National City Parks
National City maintains over 87 acres of parkland including:
The city government’s website?describes the facilities and services in their parks. It also?allows reserving facilities, picnic areas, and their baseball diamonds for exclusive use.
National City Recreation
The National City Golf Course loved by golfers of all ages. Discounts for city residents.
Las Palmas Pool, the National City community Olympic sized pool.
Six community recreation centers offering over 20 different classes in crafts, dance, and athletics. All ages welcome.
National City Historical Sites
The city’s vintage Victorian homes include four listed in the National Register of Historic Places including:
- Santa Fe Rail Depot built-in 1882 modeled after Italian style architecture;
- Noyes House a Victorian home;
- Brick Row on Heritage Square built-in 1887 by Frank Kimball. View cool photos. Here;
- Granger Music Hall built by the famous architect, Irving Gill. Unused for a decade, but plans for renovation in the works; and
- Stein Family Farm now a living history museum of late 19th-century farm life.
The city government provides a continuing year-round Calendar of Events. Here
The National City Chamber of Commerce also provides a different Calendar of Events. Here
National City Restaurants
National City Schools
The National School District maintains its website. Here
The Great Schools Organization rates the following National City schools as the best:
Integrity Charter School rated 6 (out of 10) teaching grades K-8 with around 320 students.
Palmer Way also rated a 6 teaching grades K-6 with around 590 students.
Integrity Charter School rated 6 teaching grades K-8 with around 320 students.
Sweetwater High School (in nearby Sweetwater) rated 5 teaching grades 9-12 with around 2,700 students.
This National City CA real estate spotlights the second oldest city in San Diego County.
Centrally located with a 21-minute drive to Tijuana, Mexico and 11 minutes to San Diego.
Residents and visitors enjoy the many parks, historic sites, public golf course, and Olympic size community pool. They also like the six large shopping centers and mile-long car dealerships.
Dine in the 5 Star Mexican restaurant and five 4.5 Star restaurants.
Even though four sites differ about the average sales prices for National City homes may confuse you. We have answers.
Contact Us to discover the current prices for homes in National City.
Steven Rich, MBA – Guest Blogger
Search Local Real Estate Below Or Use Our: Home Search Tool:
HAVE ANY QUESTIONS?
Let us know, we love to help:
Call: (800) 550-3209
or Click: www.www.choudi4.com/contact
Big Block Realty – CA BRE #01885775